Direct Call : 954-551-0236 / E-Mail :
NAR News (National Association of Realtors / 전미 부동산 중개인 협회)

(마이애미) Get landlord’s written OK before making changes – Florida Realtor News (마이애미)


FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Sept. 10, 2015 – Question: I rented a house in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that turned into a money pit. It had plumbing and air conditioning issues. I ended up putting $15,000 into the house and later moved out after the landlords doubled the rent. I want to be repaid some of the money I spent, but the landlords refused and sent me nasty texts and emails. Help. – Lisa

Answer: Did your landlords agree in writing to credit or reimburse you for the money you spent improving the property? If not, I think you’ll need to just chalk this up to an expensive lesson learned.

I can’t say it enough times: Make sure all dealings between landlord and tenant are in writing. Verbal permission is difficult to prove, so always get it in writing.

Read your lease and abide by it. Most leases will not let you do work or make changes to the house without written consent from the landlord. Your landlord could have terminated the lease and evicted you just for making the changes without permission.

If your landlord is not fixing major problems, you may be able to cancel the lease. But you can’t just decide to repair or improve your rental on your own and expect to be reimbursed for the work.

About the writer: Gary M. Singer is a Florida attorney and board-certified as an expert in real estate law by the Florida Bar. He is the chairperson of the Real Estate Section of the Broward County Bar Association and is an adjunct professor for the Nova Southeastern University Paralegal Studies program.

The information and materials in this column are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in this column is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

Copyright © 2015 Sun Sentinel, Gary M. Singer. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


About jennyformiamihome

성심껏 도와드리겠습니다. 연락주시면 바로 상세히 답변드립니다. Jenny Shin / 신정미 부동산 (Broker's Real Estate) 남부 플로리다 마이애미 지역 한인 부동산 주택매매 렌트 싱글하우스 타운하우스 콘도 브라워드 카운티 마이애미 데이드 카운티 포트로더데일 웨스턴 코랄스프링 도랄 Rent or Buy single house, town house and Condo Miami Dade County / Broward County, fort lauderdale, coral springs, copper city, weston, doral 1398 SW 160TH AVE. SUITE 105 Weston, FL. 33326 Direct : 954-551-0236 Office : 954-384-1616 Fax : 954-697-0447 E-mail :


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Jenny Shin / 신정미 부동산
(Broker's Real Estate)
1398 SW 160TH AVE. SUITE 105
Weston FL 33326
Direct : 954-551-0236
Office : 954-384-1616
Fax : 954-697-0447
E-mail :


Miami metropolitan area INFORMATION

For more detailed information on Miami Metropolitan Area (cities / demographics, etc), click map

%d bloggers like this: